Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Joy of Giving

One of the things I love most about this place and this work is the joy of giving things to people I would in no other circumstances have the ability to give. Such as . . .

The only guy who knows how to play the guitar in this joint came and tuned my guitar for me, because I still can't. I gave him, as a "thanks dude," a bottle of Tampico and some mosquito coils.

A woman came from the mountains with a genuine request. She can't afford school. Her husband left her and their boys because he was afraid of the spirit in their village (lots of people were committing suicide), she was sick and her boys needed to go to school. "Can you please help me?" she asked. Well, sure we can darlin'. Her boys are both in 2nd grade. They come every day. They take good notes. They are very well behaved. So we provide them with all that they need. And their mother smiles a little more often now.

A kid came with 3 lips. His bottom one was made into two when he fell from a coconut tree. We gave him stitches.

A young woman came to my door repeating something over and over, but I couldn't understand. I told her to sit and speak slower, but to no avail. She just kept talking. I gave her a smile, a nod, a coke and a few confusing minutes of my time. When she left, I also gave her an apology. "Sorry, lady. I still got nothin'."

TO BE CONTINUED

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Crash, you crack me up!! Do you even know that you are the perfect person to be there at such a time as this?!!It is sooo obvious that God has hand selected you for this mission! You have the personality, the passion and the sense of humor that is needed to accomplish what is needed there! I am so proud of you!! Can't wait to hear more stories...I laughed & cried at the same time!! Love you girl!!!