Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Haitian Wedding

4 am...woke up

5 am...packed my red dress and hit the road

6 am...drove as far as possible 'til we hit a ravine and had to hike from there

7 am...couldn't see a trail ahead, but saw a man leading a donkey which was carrying a pig, all being chased by a dog, so I figured we were headed somewhere towards civilization

8:30 am...arrived for the wedding and changed into the red dress

9 am...wedding at which I turned out to be the only photographer so people pushed me towards the bride and groom during all the important parts and made me sit in a chair on the stage...in the red dress

11 am...3o minute hike farther up the mountain to the newlyweds' new home

11:01 am...all the children of that and all other surrounding mountains spotted the white girl (me) and latched on for the hike, petting my arm hair and telling me I'm pretty

12:30 pm...arrived at the house drawing more attention than the couple because of the mob attached to me

1 pm...Wilckly started his toast as the best man

2 pm...Wilckly finished his toast (that's a joke)

2 pm for real...sat down to eat the wedding feast which consisted of rice and beans, pickley, pork, beet salad and all the other Haitian delicacies with exotic fruit like papaya, mango, pinapple and oranges- all decorated beautifully with cheese curls stuck to the end of toothpicks (that's not a joke). They made the shape of a heart with the cheese curls- how romantic.

2:30 pm...looked on as the whole place was attacked by people trying to get to the food. I saw rice and beans and cheese curls all flying in the air over a group f people crowding the table. I thought that if that was my wedding I would've cried, but the bride and groom just sat calmly nibbling their cheese curls.

3 pm...started the hike down the mountian in the red dress

5 pm...arrived at the truck which was waiting for us at the infamous ravine

5:01...the boys laughed at me because I was wearing a red dress...with my soccer shorts hanging lower than the hem of the dress.

5:30...chugged a coke

6 pm...bucket bath

7 pm...went to sleep and had nightmares about cheese curls

7 comments:

Blessing Hearts International said...

Gotta love it! Man I miss Haiti! As I sat listening to Deanna and Molly tell about their experiences that is all I could think, is man I miss Haiti. I so wish I could have made the wedding trek with you but instead I am hanging out here in the ice box in Iowa and seeking fake warmth in the sauna at Bedford Beaches. I so can't wait to be there in Haiti with you. Look out Haiti! Here comes Crash and Mdme Kiki! Now there's a combination!!!!

Riva said...

Hello Crash,
My name is Riva Ridgway and I'm a friend of Dee's. I had the privilege of visiting Haiti in Feb. of last year. I love to read your blog. You are so funny and so real. Keep on doing what you do best-loving the Lord and His Flock!

Shane J. Wood said...

You make me laugh...you make my heart happy....you inspire me....God Bless you friend...

Tammy said...

Crash...that last entry was from me....I guess my son had switched to his account on my computer, and I didn't notice it until after I posted...anyway, God Bless you dear friend!

Becky said...

Crash, Crash, dear Crash...are there pictures of you in this alleged red dress?? I bet you were beautiful!
The last time I saw you in a dress, April put your hair up in curlers. In fact, I think I still have pictures...

Chris said...

Dear Becky,

Destroy them.

Love.

Bianca Esperanza said...

Oh Crash, I find it unceasingly humorous that you loath any sortof clothing without a crotch (sans tops; obviously they don't have a crotch). And then God in his infinite wisdom sends you to the land of "If-you-don't-wear-a-dress-you're-a-whore". I miss you. I love you. I am praying for you.