Saturday, November 28, 2009

Another Saturday in Haiti

For today's post, I thought I'd give you an account of normal Saturday activities. I think that the best way to do so is to give you my to-do list for the day. This is what is written on it for today:

1) Sort clothes. (Sometimes they pile up if they aren't ironed. I just toss them in a pile.) Check.

2) Organize grocery store. (Our grocery store consists of three suitcases under my bed. Aisle one is food products. Aisle two is non-food products. And aisle three is bulk food products.) Check.

3) Sweep under beds. (There is a lot of dust and dirt in Haiti that accumulates. We need to do this often.) Check.

4) Clean corners. (Another habit of mine is to lose control of the odds and ends that build up. In America, you have junk drawers. In Haiti, we have corners.) Check.

5) Send 2nd e-mails. (This is a must for communicating with people Stateside. I have to stay disciplined about this or things could go wrong.) Check.

6) Update blog again. (Another communication must. I wanted to make up for the huge intermission between my last few entries.) In Process.

7) Attempt to measure boys. (Sounds odd, I know. I need to measure them for dress pants and shirts. I want to bring them new sets of nice clothes to wear to church. The hard part is that because I don't have measuring tape I have to measure them with a child's toy measuring tape that only extends to 24 inches. No check yet.

8) Clean bureau. (Bureau is the creole word for office. I have to organize that as well because it gets a little out of hand by the end of each week.) No check yet.

9) Scrub down bathroom. (This one is self-explanatory. The only Haitian hiccup was that I only had a 4 oz bottle of Lysol to scrub the whole bathroom down. I successfully stretched it out. Check.

10) Make Bed. (I put this one on there just so I had one to cross off right away. Made me feel better.) Check twice.

11) Clean on and under table. (Had to add this one because it was full of crumbs and dust. I couldn't have a clean room with a dirty table.) Check.

12) Start organizing file cabinet. (Got ambitious. Probably won't conquer that today. p.s. I keep this cabinet-with all the mission's files- behind my door.) No check....yet.

13) Clean safe. (Our "bank" is kept under my table. It need a once-over as well.) Check.

14) Cobwebs. (I feel so much better without those little webs all over my ceiling.) Check.

So, now I have to go back to work. Must complete the to-do list!

Happy birthday, Misty and Grandma!

No comments: